Linda Alexander, leading clinical hypnotherapist in Glasgow since 1995, senior hypnotherapist and supervisor for the West London University Hypnotherapy Training in Glasgow, UK and overseas. Lecturer in complementary therapies at Langside College, Glasgow. Articles published in Glasgow newspapers relating to Hypnotherapy and various complementary therapies. Appearances on STV and local radio relating to hypnotherapy and complementary therapies.
Hypnosis can be used to treat a wide variety of emotional and physiological conditions. Some of the best known are stopping smoking, losing weight, stress and anxiety, but there are many issues that can be helped by hypnotherapy. Some others include, anxiety and depression, insomnia, phobias, fear of heights, needle phobia, childbirth, fear of insects/birds/animals, exam nerves, public speaking, agoraphobia, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), social anxiety, fear of commitment, psychogenic infertility/ conception difficulties, addictions (sugar, alcohol, street drugs, prescription drugs, chocolate, carbohydrates) , insomnia, sleep problems, habit breaking, nail biting/hair pulling/teeth grinding/relationship problems, loss and bereavement, sexual difficulties ( inorgasmia/ premature ejaculation, impotence/vaginismus) , self esteem and confidence problems, childhood sexual abuse problems, anger management, concentration and memory problems.
Appointments are usually made in advance at my practice in Glasgow by phone, email or text, but it is also possible by skype/webcam for people in outlying districts or overseas.
Please see information below about hypnotherapy.
www.Hypnotherapy-Glasgow.net has collated a list of informative studies and evidence on hypnotherapy and various emotional and physical symptoms. See below.
So, what is hypnosis?
The term ‘hypnosis’ comes from the Greek word ‘hypnos’ which means sleep. The ancient Greeks believed that it was possible to help people change their behaviour by sending them into sleep temples, where they would spend the night and in their sleep they would be positively influenced by the Gods.
Since then hypnosis has undergone radical change and research and it is now known that it is not necessary for the person to sleep but to merely be relaxed.
In a relaxed or trance-like state suggestions are then given to the unconscious mind to elicit change.
What is the Conscious Mind?
The conscious mind is the part of our mind which has conscious awareness. Often people know ‘consciously’ what they are unhappy about or what they would like to change but somehow they just cannot do it.
What is the Unconscious Mind?
No-one really knows the answer to this but there is evidence to show that there is a difference between the conscious mind and the unconscious mind, almost as if they are two separate departments. In a relaxed or ‘hypnotic’ state it is possible to give suggestions to the unconscious mind which help people to make the changes they ‘consciously’ want to make.
What is hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is the use of hypnosis for a therapeutic outcome. The therapist acts on behalf of the client and helps them to attain their personal goals, such as, stopping smoking, losing weight, being more confident, passing an exam etc.
How hypnosis works
Hypnosis works by activating the ability of the unconscious mind to change behaviour patterns or solve problems.
What is the difference between the conscious and the unconscious?
Nobody really knows where the conscious mind is in the body or the unconscious mind either but one thing we are certain of is that they are two different departments acting almost independently of each other.
Very often a person knows logically or consciously what their problem is but ‘they’ can’t fix it with the conscious mind. Old habits and behaviours are filed in the deeper part of the mind, the part that remembers everything from your first awareness in the womb, your first step, everything you have ever learned or experienced. That is why it is necessary to speak to the unconscious mind and give suggestions to that part, to change or do something different.
This is one reason why hypnotherapy can help much faster than other therapies such as counseling and psychoanalysis.
Use the links below to read more about hypnotherapy and some of the problems hypnotherapy can help with:
- Stop smoking
- Lose weight for good
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Positive thinking and relaxation
- Virtual gastric band hypnotherapy
- Hypnotherapy by webcam
- Fears and phobias
- How Hypnosis Works – from How Stuff Works (online site)
- 10 Relaxation Techniques – WebMD
- Hypnotherapy and Brain Entrainment
- Chronic Pain Management – The Role of Hypnotherapy
- Hypnotherapy and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Surfers Wanted to take part in Hypnotherapy Experiment
- Hypnotherapy and Driving Test Nerves
- Dementia – Hypnosis shown to reduce symptoms
- Helping Wedding Nerves with Hypnotherapy
- Free hypnotherapy script for panic attacks
- Pain Management with hypnotherapy
- PTSD – Clinical Reasearch
- Exploring the Science behind Hypnotherapy – Research 2012
- Anxiety and Cognitive Bevavioural Hypnotherapy – American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis.
- CBH (Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy – American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis
- Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) and Hypnotherapy Treatment
- Depression and Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy
- Forensic Hypnosis – Crime Library
- Anxiety and Panic Disorders WebMD
- Cheek Biting HMI USA
- Chronic Worrying and Hypnotherapy HMI USA
- Dating with Detachment HMI USA
- Driving Anxiety HMI USA
- Compulsive Hair Pulling HMI USA
- Happiness or Perfectionism HMI USA
- Holiday Stress Solutions HMI USA
- Children and Homework
- Negative Self Talk Awareness HMI USA
- Peace of Mind HMI USA
- Sports Enhancement HMI USA
- Hypnosis, Meditation and Relaxation for Pain Management WebMD
- The Power of the Subconscious Mind
- Studying and Hypnotherapy
- Sugar Addiction – Uncommon Knowledge
- Yips and HypnotherapyHMI USA
- Waking Hypnosis – what is it? HMI USA
- Weight Loss with Hypnotherapy- magic wand or snowball effect
- Hypnobirthing – WebMD
- Hypnotherapy and Healing with Poetry HMI USA
- Thank you can change your life – hypnotherapy HMI USA
- Hypnotherapy, Relaxation and Meditation for Pain Management
- Operation without anaesthesia – Hypnotherapy
- Accidental Hypnosis – Hypnosis Online
- Forensic Hypnosis – Hypnosis Online
- Your Brain – Under Hypnosis
- The Power of Hypnosis – Psychology Today
- Assessing the Depth of Hypnosis
- The Unconscious Mind – Are you overlooking your Greatest Asset?
- Losing Weight with Hypnotherapy – Hypnotherapy Article – Paul Gustafson
- EFT and Hypnotherapy Combined
- Public Speaking and Hypnotherapy – Hypnothrapy Article – Katherine Zimmerman
- Stopping Smoking with Hypnotherapy Evidence, article Lindsay Chura
- Clutter and Hoarding Help with Hypnotherapy by Beverley E Taylor
- OSHO Online Magazine – meditation, hypnotherapy and healing
- OSHO Online Magazine – healng with past life memories
- OSHO Online Magazine – The Science of Hypnosis
- Youth Radio Investigates Hypnosis
- Trichotillomania – What is it?
- Hypnosis and Smoking Cessation – HMI
- Science News – Compulsive Hoarding
- Compulsive Behaviour – Can Be Overcome With Hypnotherapy
- Weight Loss and Hypnosis
- Weight Loss – Irish Hypnosis
- Compulsive Hoarding – Cork Clinic
- Disposaphobia (Hoarding) How Hypnosis Can Help
- OCD Knightsbridge Institute
- Controlling Compulsions
- Scientific Proof of Hypnotic State
- Science Exploring Hypnosis
- Stop Thumb Sucking
- Hoarding – Help by Hypnotherapy
- Clutter and Hoarding – How Hypnotherapy can Help
- Hoarding and Hypnosis
- Hoarding and Collecting – How Hypnosis can Help
- Clutter and Hoarding – The Emotional Whiplash of Letting Go
- Self Hypnosis for Weight Loss – Wikihow
- Stress Management – The Mayo Clinic
- Trichtillomania (hair pulling) – Trich Learning Centre
- Transforming Recovery – NLP and Addictions
- NLP Techniques for beating drug addiction
- Confidence – how to do it – Dr Richard Bandler
- NLP and Addiction – Dr Richard Bolstad
- Why unwanted behaviours persist – Lindemann Group
- Blushing – Helped by Hypnotherapy
- Blushing – How Hypnotherapy Helps
- Driving Test – pass with Hypnotherapy
- Fear of the Dentist
- Hoarding and Clutter – Help with Hypnosis
- Cancer Patients and Hypnotherapy – The Wellness Institute
- Ego Strengthening and Ego Surrender- Dianne Zimberhoff and David Hartman
- Hypnosis for Children – Pauline Stanton
- Letting go of limiting beliefs
- Confidence Building with Hypnosis
- Menopausal symptoms and Hypnosis
- Blushing – Helped by Hypnotherapy
- Self Sabotage and Limiting Beliefs – helped by Hypnosis and Cognitive Hypnosis
- Hypnosis, Meditation and Relaxation for Pain Management, WebMD
- Hypnosis for addictions
- Hypnotherapy and Arthritis – Steven Harold
- Panic Attacks Helped By Hypnotherapy
- PTSD – The American Psychological Association – 2009
- When Our Minds Betray Us – The American Psychological Association
- Does Chocolate Addiction Exist?
- General Info on Hypnosis – American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- Bed Wetting in Children, Helped by Hypnotherapy – Lynda Hudson BSCH
- Hypnotherapy for Addictions
- Free Hypnotherapy Script for Social Anxiety
- Panic Disorder and Hypnotherapy About.com article
- Confidence and how Hypnotherapy helps – Article from Uncommon Knowledge
- Confidence how Hypnotherapy can help – Uncommon Knowledge
- Hypnosis use to uncover childhood sexual abuse – Review of Yapko’s book by Steve Eichel – read the review
- Anxiety- APA Office of CE in Psychology – April 2013, a review of different methods of dealing with anxiety, including hypnosis
- Quitting Smoking with Hypnotherapy from Hypnotherapy Directory
- Food Addiction Hypnotherapy from Hypnotherapy Directory
- Confidence Building with Hypnosis, Roger Elliot, Uncommon Knowledge
- Fear of Motorway Driving- Hypnotherapy Institute
- PTSD Related Insomnia – Hypnosis Research 1989
- Lose weight with Self Hypnosis – Wikihow
- Hypnosis for the control and relief of pain – American Paychological Association
- Synesthesia Induced by Hypnosis – Association for Psychological Science
- Hypnosis for Exam Preparation
- Treating Compulsive Shopping with Hypnotherapy
- Confidence Building with Hypnosis
- Low Self Confidence – How Hypnosis Helps
- Confidence Increased Through Hypnosis
- How Hypnosis Helps Build Confidence – Roger Elliot
- Lonliness – How Hypnosis can Help – Wikipedia
- Hypnosis effective for IBS – Science Daily 2012
- Hypnosis reduces pain and anxiety – Hypnosis Today 2011
- Addiction – Neurobiology – Health Care Professionals Network 2014
- Addiction Hypnosis and Acupuncture – Claudia Ward
- Hair Pulling and Hypnosis – Olivia Munn
- Gastric Band Hypnosis v Gastric Band Surgery
- Virtual Gastric Band Hypnotherapy v Actual Gastric Band Surgery
- Here are some of the phrases that may have brought you to my website: hypnotist glasgow weight loss, weight loss hypnotherapy glasgow gastric band hypnotist, hypnotist glasgow, phobia hypnotist glasgow,glasgow south, anxiety hynotist glasgow, glasgow city hypnotherapists, stop smoking, stress hypnotherapists glasgow, smoking cessation hypnotherapists glasgow, public speaking glasgow hypnotherapists, hypnotherapists in glasgow, bed wetting, nocturnal enuresis, hypnotherapists near glasgow, self esteem confidence glasgow hypnotherapists, dental phobia hypnotherapists glasgow, weight control hypnotherapists, glasgow, sugar addiction hypnosis glasgow, chocolate addiction hypnosis glasgow, fertility problems hypnosis glasgow, regression hypnotherapy glasgow, public speaking hypnosis glasgow, exam nerves driving test hypnosis glasgow, insomnia glasgow hypnosis, nail biting hypnosis, lose weight hypnosis, fear of motorway driving, weight control hypnosis, glasgow hypnosis, hypnosis gastric band glasgow, gastric band hypnotherapy glasgow, gastric band hypnosis glasgow. hypnotist in glasgow, glasgow hypnotist, hypnotist weight loss, phobia hypnotist, glasgow hypnotherapists, hypnotherapists, hypnotherapists in scotland, hypnotherapists in the central belt, hypnotherapists near glasgow, hypnotherapists in glasgow glasgow weight loss hypnotherapists, glasgow stop smoking hypnotherapists, glasgow weight loss hypnotherapy, glasgow anxiety hypnotherapists, glasgow pain management hypnotherapists, weight control hypnotherapists, lose weight hypnotherapists, weight loss with hypnotherapists, weight loss hypnotist, lose weight hypnotist, anxiety hypnotist, confidence hypnotist, insomnia hypnotist, sleep hypnotherapists, fear of flying hypnotherapists, self esteem hypnotherapists, insomnia hypnotherapists, anxiety hypnotherapists, smoking cessation hypnotherapists, anxiety hypnosis, stopping smoking hypnosis, phobia hypnosis, confidence hypnosis, insomnia hypnosis, weight loss hypnosis, weight control hypnosis, gastric band hypnotherapy, fertility hypnotherapy glasgow, childbirth hypnosis glasgow, hypnobirthing glasgow.-